Re: Clutch Master Cylinder

To: cirvin1258@juno.com, triumph-tr4@home.com
Subject: Re: Clutch Master Cylinder
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 05:53:20 PST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
>From: Charles R Irvin <cirvin1258@juno.com>
>To: triumph-tr4@home.com
>CC: triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
>Subject: Re: Clutch Master Cylinder
>Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 23:23:50 -0800
>
>...$130.00 FOR A NEW CLUTCH MASTER!?!?!?!?!?
>
>Is THAT what they're going for these days??? Wow!
>
>...Guess I've been out of it for a while. Go with the HeliCoil.
>
>Charles
>
>On Fri, 03 Mar 2000 22:16:26 -0800 Shayne Peterson <triumph-tr4@home.com>
>writes:
> > I have a problem that I would love a CHEAP solution to.
> > Vehicle: 63 TR4 (Surrey Top too)
> > Problem:  The hydraulic fitting on the clutch master cylinder has
> > been
> > stripped of ANY substantial threads by an over-zealous repairman.  I
> > discovered after wondering why the clutch pedal seemed to be getting
> > softer by the day/week how air could be getting into the system.  I
> > was
> > checking the tightness of this fitting by backing it off and
> > discovered
> > that it was held in with silicone sealant.  So now, I have no clutch
> > and
> > the car is sitting locked in the garage with a tankfull of stale
> > gas.
> >
> > I am looking for solutions.  I was thinking of boring out and
> > tapping
> > the m/c one size up then installing an adapter, only, I can't find
> > anyone who makes an adapter for this fitting.  The only other
> > options
> > that I could think of were to either weld up the hole in the m/c and
> > drill/tap it the correct size, but I'm afraid of damaging the m/c.
> > Or I
> > could drop a sleeve into the fitting...
> >
> > I want to try to keep the car as original as possible so I don't
> > want to
> > change the hardline.  And I don't really want to shell out ~US$130
> > for a
> > new m/c, but if the next meet gets here before I get a good remedy,
> > I'll
> > have to.

     WAIT! HOLD IT! JUST A DAMN MINUTE!!!!

     Call Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies... They have Girling master
     cylinders from $66-74. Measure your bore (that where the piston
     is then order the right size... I did several years ago whe
     the "Big 3" wanted ~$90 for a replacement.

     Helicoils may be great things, but you can't beat "new"

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois
1962 TR4 (CT4852L)