Re: Removing Transmission tail housing (TR4)

To: "INTERNET:spitlist@gte.net" <spitlist@gte.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Re: Removing Transmission tail housing (TR4)
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 08:04:12 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:spitlist@gte.net
>You need tool number 20.S/63 to remove the extension.  Don't ask me what
>it looks like, that's what my manual says!  I assume it is some sort of
>puller that exerts pressure on the output shaft while drawing the
>extension off.

>I wonder if your rear bearing isn't seized to the housing!<

Is the bearing supposed to come out with the output shaft?  I thought
it was supposed to stay in the housing until removed individually.

I thought the puller device was a "nice" enhancement, and it seems
that some people have had luck with the Haynes "bash it off" technique.
I sure have not.  I had a wimpy puller of sorts that I got to work trying
to move the tail shaft.  No good.  It was not strong enough and just wanted
to bend.  It was not very strong to start with.

I sure am not having luck with the bashing technique.

-Tony