Re: competition manual online

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: competition manual online
From: "Ian Frearson" <frearji@montevallo.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:09:26 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
This entire debate verges on the bizarre. I've seen the Spitfire
Competetition Prep manual for sale, too, but that in no way proves that the
copies being printed are "authorised" per se. The manual is little more than
a glorified pamphlet, and as has been pointed out, was primarily good
promotion for Triumph racing. Additionally, the document itself exhibits no
copyright markings, publishing information, etc. The British Leyland
corporate logo on the cover would suggest that Rover/BMW ultimately controls
the publishing rights to this document. But I seriously doubt that they have
the time or resources to mess about with such foolishness as this, and as I
indicated above, there is no evidence thus far that any entity OTHER than
Rover/BMW holds any rights to the document. The supposedly-authorised
reprints are a pretty small-dollar item, and I can't even imagine that it's
even remotely profitable enough  to pursue any legal action beyond a "cease
and desist" order. If it's REALLY a matter of great concern to anyone, I
would highly recommend contacting Rover Group to clear the matter up.