Re: TR6 Fuse Box - part 2

To: mrdr@buckeyeweb.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Fuse Box - part 2
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 23:05:21 EDT
In a message dated 4/29/99 8:37:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mrdr@buckeyeweb.com writes:

> On the way home tonight I stopped by the local NAPA retailer and found
>  something which may work out. NAPA has a five circuit fuse block (part
>  782-2024, $19.00 which includes the governor's take). This item is about
>  1 inch wide and 2 1/4 inches high with two mounting holes. It uses the
>  ATO, blade type fuses and has 1/4" side position terminals for input and
>  output. So far so good.
>
>  The only problem I can see is it is rated for fuses up to 15 amps. Will
>  I be able to run my car with such a low rated fuse? Or, can I put in a
>  25 amp fuse and be ok? Any guidance on this would be greatly
>  appreciated.

Marty,

No, you do NOT want to use 25 amp fuses -- not because of the fuse block
rating, but because of the Triumph wire rating. I would recommend using a 10
amp for the fuse with the RED wires, a 15 for the fuse with the PURPLE wires,
and a 15 or a 20 for the fuse with the GREEN wires. Since you have spare
slots, it would be nice to split the green wires up into two circuits.
According to the wiring diagrams, there are two green wires on the fuse (and
there are two on my '71), one for the wipers and one for everything else. The
wiper motor pulls less than 2 amps, so you could fuse that green wire with a
5 or a 10 amp, and a use a 15 amp for the other.

If you don't split the green wires, and you find the 15 amp fuse blows, go to
a 20, but it would be worth trying the 15 first. The green wires feed your WW
wipers, WW washer, back up lights, brake lights, gauges, turn signals, and
the heater fan. None of these are critical loads, so there is no danger from
having the fuse blow while the car is in operation. The worst thing would be
for the fuse to blow in the rain with the wipers running, so you might want
to test the fuse with all these loads on before you're caught out in the
rain.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/