Re: Cleaning TR3 Voltage Regulator

To: David Moag <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Cleaning TR3 Voltage Regulator
From: Michael Ferguson <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 20:17:59 -0700
David Moag wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> After cleaning off all the dirt and grime from the cover of my voltage
> regulator, I'm not thrilled by what I see. The plastic (?) is sort of
> in-grained with swirly light and dark brown markings. Is it possible to
> clean and restore this? I have a buffing wheel suitable for use on plastic,
> but it looks to me like it'll take something else before the buffing will
> help. Any ideas, or do I have to add this to my ever growing list of parts
> to look for. I'd sure like to stick with the original if I can make it look
> nice again.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave Moag
> 62 TR3B
> 77 Spitfire

I was playing around with a spare voltage regulator the other day (lots
of time on my hands, you see) and decided to try to clean it up. Took a
piece of 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper (wet) and gave it a once over.
Then, using a Dremel with buffing wheel and the red buffing compound
they sell with the Dremel (I assume it's rouge, but it's not labeled), I
was able to bring out quite a nice sheen. Ought to work better with a
large buffing wheel on a bench grinder - the Dremel wheel didn't last
long.

I believe the steering wheel hub is made of the same stuff (bakelite?)
and I'd like to try the method on that as well - they start looking
pretty bad after 40 years or so! Anyway, give it a shot and let us know
how it works out. Good luck.
--
Michael Ferguson