Buying my first TR

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Buying my first TR
From: Jay Snavely <jays@paonline.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 20:51:42 -0400
I am looking for my first TR and could use some opinions.  I am thinking about
a TR4, TR250, or TR6.  I pretty much decided on an early TR6 because I like its
interior, folding top, more HP, etc.  But I have heard negative comments about
the rear suspension, and problems with frame rust.

I am planning to store the car inside, drive it on the road about 1000 mi per
year, and not race/autocross it.  I do not plan to have a show quality car.  I
have the following questions:

Is the rear handling going to be a problem with my use?  Are the solid axle
cars really much better for pleasure driving?  Do sway bars on TR6's solve the
problem?

How many of these cars have OD?

How many TR6's will have serious frame rust?  If the frame is rusted at the
trailing arm area, is it likely to have rust in the other areas, or does it
vary from car to car?  If the frame is repaired properly, what about
re-alignment?  Should I forget about a car with a repaired frame?

Also, does anyone know of a car for sale in the Penn area I might be interested
in?

Thanks in advance.

Jay - future TR owner