RE: Revised Diff Mount Template?

To: dynamic@transport.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Revised Diff Mount Template?
From: MPRICE@KeystoneSystems.com
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 13:15:31 -0400
Pete
For question 1), I found the same thing. I don't know what others on the
list will say, and I have no idea whether what I did was the best answer
or not. But, what I did was sand/grind down the entire area where I
found the stress cracks until I was sure I had found them all. Then I
filled in the base with new weld metal. Then I ground it all back to get
it somewhat flat with good metal and found the biggest d#@* washer I
could with a center hole big enough for a tight fit where the post comes
through the cross member and welded that to the bolt and crossmember.
Hopefully this will help distribute some of the stresses a little
better. My concern is that I don't want any of the cracks which might
propogate through the new weld material to continue, and if they
do.......hence the washer. I would think that any 1/4 or 3/8 inch thick
plate with a hole in the middle would probably do just as well.

I'm open to what others on the list think about whether this is an
adequate fix or not.

For question 2) I used the cardboard template approach just like you
did. Cut and shaped until I got a perfect fit for my car. Then used that
as the pattern. Cut the pieces and welded them in. Most of the work is
in preparing to weld them in.

As an aside, I have found that investing in a welding machine was a good
idea for me. Lots of fun, keeps my external costs down and the kids love
it. Better than Nintendo. YMMV.
Good Luck.
Mark
TR250s