A Few TR3A Restoration Questions (kinda long)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: A Few TR3A Restoration Questions (kinda long)
From: Jeff A Williamson <Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:53 -0500
Hop-count: 1
I haven't been on this list for quite some time, so I appologize if some of
this has been recently covered already.

I have owned a 1958 TR3A (TS36916L) for many years and finished a complete
restoration 2 years ago. This weekend, I purchased a 1960 TR3A (TS70605) in
need of restoration. Both cars were probably "bastardized" somewhat by the
previous owners, and I want to restore my most recent purchase to as close to
original as possible. I know that there were a few minor changes introduced
around late '59 or early '60 (TS60000), such as the rear seat, gas tank, and
raised platforms for the hood and trunk hinges. There may be others, but
because I don't have a correct original model of either car to make
comparisons, I have the following questions:

1) The '58 model has the voltage regulator box mounted horizontally (connectors
facing down), the '60 model regulator is mounted vertically (connectors facing
to the left as viewed from the front). Which is correct?

2) The '60 model has a visible body seam where the rear tonneau saddle panel
(the panel containing the gas cap) is connected to the inner quarter panel
(just above the rear fender). This seam is about 4" long on both sides of the
car. If you stand facing the car in front of the rear tire and look straight
down, this is where the seam is. The '58 model does not show these seams, as
they were filled over. Which is correct?

3) The '58 model has the antenna mounted on the right front fender about 12"
north of the door. The '60 model has the antenna mounted on the front scuttle
panel (where the hood hinges mount) about 3" from the windshield. (I haven't
yet been able to check the '60 yet to see if there is a plugged hole in the
fender where the antenna may have previously been mounted). Which is correct?

4) The '58 model has a vertical body seam where the rear fender meets the rear
panel (under the tail lights), and has the aluminum fender bead in this seam
(about 12" long on both sides). The '60 model does not show the seam and
appears to have been filled in. Which is correct?

5) The carburators on the '60 appear to be H6's (I think). The air cleaners are
round flat disks, about 1.5" thick with paper elements. There are two of these
and each is mounted with 2 bolts. Is this correct, or an aftermarket item? (The
'58 came with a TR4A motor, and the early TR3A dome-shaped wire-gauze filters,
so I don't know.)

Any help with these questions would be appreciated. I'm sure I'll have more
later.

Jeff Williamson
Belleville, MI