Re: GT6 Brake Drum

To: Martin Secrest <msecrest@erols.com>
Subject: Re: GT6 Brake Drum
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:56:49 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: levilevi@home.com, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Previously on this list:

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Martin Secrest wrote:

> Are you sure about this?  When I replaced the rear drums on my late (73)
> GT6, I discovered that there are at least two versions of the rear drum,
> the later version being wider.
>
> The 73 drum is also identical to that of a TR7 -- which is how I found mine.

Martin, you are right of course. All (or at least the vast majority) of
1973 GT6s had self-adjusting rear brakes, and the drum went from 8 x
1.25" to 8 x 1.5". The earlier drum is Herald, and it doesn't surprise me
that the later drum would be the same as some other car (must have been
something other than just TR7, which didn't exist in 1973 -- perhaps a
Dolomite or other small sedan).

--Andy