Re: A Few TR3A Restoration Questions (kinda long)

To: Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com
Subject: Re: A Few TR3A Restoration Questions (kinda long)
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 18:47:38 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

<< I haven't been on this list for quite some time, so I appologize if some
of
 this has been recently covered already.

 I have owned a 1958 TR3A (TS36916L) for many years and finished a complete
 restoration 2 years ago. This weekend, I purchased a 1960 TR3A (TS70605) in
 need of restoration. Both cars were probably "bastardized" somewhat by the
 previous owners, and I want to restore my most recent purchase to as close
 original as possible. I know that there were a few minor changes introduced
 around late '59 or early '60 (TS60000), such as the rear seat, gas tank, and
 raised platforms for the hood and trunk hinges. There may be others, but
 because I don't have a correct original model of either car to make
 comparisons, I have the following questions:

 1) The '58 model has the voltage regulator box mounted horizontally
(connectors
 facing down), the '60 model regulator is mounted vertically (connectors
facing
 to the left as viewed from the front). Which is correct?
Both are correct. For the respective years.

 2) The '60 model has a visible body seam where the rear tonneau saddle panel
 (the panel containing the gas cap) is connected to the inner quarter panel
 (just above the rear fender). This seam is about 4" long on both sides of
the
 car. If you stand facing the car in front of the rear tire and look straight
 down, this is where the seam is. The '58 model does not show these seams, as
 they were filled over. Which is correct?
Again both are correct. A lot of the early cars do not seem to have this
seam, whereas a lot of the later ones do. I was thinking about taking a poll
of the TR3 listers out there on this very question...

 3) The '58 model has the antenna mounted on the right front fender about 12"
 north of the door. The '60 model has the antenna mounted on the front
scuttle
 panel (where the hood hinges mount) about 3" from the windshield. (I haven't
 yet been able to check the '60 yet to see if there is a plugged hole in the
 fender where the antenna may have previously been mounted). Which is correct?

Both. Neither. Antennae were mainly dealer/DPO installations. I'm not sure
there is a "factory" location for the antenna. FWIW my '58 had an antenna
hole in the RF fender. If Fred Thomas is out there he may have something to
add here...

 4) The '58 model has a vertical body seam where the rear fender meets the
rear
 panel (under the tail lights), and has the aluminum fender bead in this seam
 (about 12" long on both sides). The '60 model does not show the seam and
 appears to have been filled in. Which is correct?
The 58 is correct - for both cars.

 5) The carburators on the '60 appear to be H6's (I think). The air cleaners
are
 round flat disks, about 1.5" thick with paper elements. There are two of
these
 and each is mounted with 2 bolts. Is this correct, or an aftermarket item?
(The
 '58 came with a TR4A motor, and the early TR3A dome-shaped wire-gauze
filters,
 so I don't know.)
 Again 58 is correct for both. The air filters are aftermarket type. Does
your 58 have banjo style fuel line attachments to carbs? 60 should have push
on fuel lines.

You should get yourself a copy of Bill Piggott's new TR3 book. Lots of pics
and info.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B