Re: TR4A Light Switch Wiring Question

To: Alvamike@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4A Light Switch Wiring Question
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 00:02:17 EDT
In a message dated 4/25/99 8:57:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Alvamike@aol.com
writes:

> I just finished putting in the steering column and have connected all of
the
>  wiring expect ONE  wire.  I don't know where it goes.  The wire is brown
and
>  comes from the light switch through the steering column.  It has a male
end
>  and is about 18 gage.  The wiring diagram I have shows that it connects to
>  fuse wire which is Green with brown.   Can anyone tell me where that wire
is
>  or specifically where this brown wire connects.

Mike,

If I read the diagrams correctly, this wire provides the power for the
"flash-to-pass" function of you headlight switch. It appears this was the
first TR series to have this feature, and it seems to be unique to that model
in its operation.

TR4A owners correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that:

a) this feature is only available when the ignition key is on,

b) It only works if the headlights are off, as it flashes whichever set of
headlight beams the dimmer happens to have selected. If the headligths are
on, it only adds power where it is already applied.

Power to this function comes from the green fuse, and is a unique application
of the color code for these cars, as usually the brown wires PROVIDE power to
circuits from the battery.

This is interesting, because if you turn on your headlights, you can power
all your ignition keyed accessories by operating the flash to pass feature.

Any TR4A owners care to evaluate this and let me know if I'm wrong? (it's
late, I'm tired, so I may be way off on this) With the key off, the
headlights on, operate your flasher for a moment and see if the gauges come
alive.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/