Re: Click Adjust

To: Richard Taylor <rgt3000@one.net>
Subject: Re: Click Adjust
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 15:47:05 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Richard,

On my Clikadjust-which is old, 6 clicks=10 thou.
To check this on yours, here's what you do.
Open up the adjuster on any valve which is closed, i.e. you can feel a
clearance on the rocker tip.
Put in a thickish feeler blade-say, 25 thou.
Unlock the nut and screw down the adjuster with the Clickadjust until
you get the big click.
Unscrew, counting the clicks, until you can slip in a 10 thou. blade.

This method bridges any wear on the rocker tip, giving an accurate
result. If you are concerned that the valve stems may not be flat, use
another thicker blade and slide the 10 thou. blade into the gap between
the two.

On the saloon, which AFAIK is the same, the order is....

Valves fully open(down)                 Adjust
10 & 12                                 1 & 3
2 & 5                                   8 & 11
7 & 9                                   4 & 6
1 & 3                                   10 & 12
8 & 11                                  2 & 5
4 & 6                                   7 & 9

I turn my motor (plugs out) with the fan blade but you might have a
starting handle, which is much easier.
A good way of not getting lost during the adjustment business is to put
a chalk mark on the top rib of each rocker you have set.

Good Luck,

Dave Hill