TR6 starting problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 starting problem
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 01:12:47 -0400
  A friend of mine is having a trouble with his
late TR6.

  Essentially, the trouble is that it doesn't start. The
starter does not engage, so it just spins and grinds
loudly without turning over the engine.

  Here are the things we have tried/considered

  - New starter (with new solenoid)
  - Broken ring gear teeth (teeth feel fine, at least
    comparing the couple of inches that show when the
    starter is removed.
  - Engine grounding (grounded block manually)
  - solenoid wiring (tried jumper to + instead of key)

  It seems like the solenoid just isn't coming out far
enough, although a new solenoid/starter showed the same
trouble.

  Can anyone think of something?

  Is it possible for the ring gear to loosen and somehow
get further away from the engine? In a moment of duct
tape ingenuity, I reassembled the solenoid using some
old washers as shims, and it actually worked some
of the time, but it didn't really seem like a long
term solution.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca