RE: Re-use head studs?

To: rdowty@iso.net
Subject: RE: Re-use head studs?
From: barron@solve.net
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:13:39 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Ron, I have a TR3 which was rebuilt a few years ago.  I took
it in to the local guru a year or so after it was rebuilt to
have the head torqued, and he found two of the bolts that would
not torque due to stretching for repeated removal and torqueing.
  Because of this, proper pressure may not be possible to prevent
blowing of the head gasket.  However, I said OK, and let it go.
 So far, no problem, but I suppose if I ever drive the car exceptionally
hard, or in very hot weather, I could have a problem.   At the
very least, if a stud is found that has a problem, it should
be replaced by double nutting it, and backing it out of the block
while the engine is apart.   (just repeating what I've been told)

Mike Barron
73 TR6
60 TR3