re: Triumph Restoration

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Triumph Restoration
From: Alex_Monacelli@amsinc.com
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 22:48:06 -0400

Hey folks,

I am new to the list and am glad to see so many knowledgeable triumph
enthusiasts.  I have just received my fathers 1967 Triumph TR4a.  The car
has been in my family since it rolled out of the factory in England, and it
has seen its fair share of interesting situations  (parents flipped it
between two trees in Oregon many, many years ago.)  Though the car has not
received as much attention as it should have, it is still in pretty decent
shape.  It still has all original parts, and is still runs.  This is the
first car that I am going to restore,  and I want to do my best to do it
right  (with my limited resources)

I am writing to the list for several reasons.  I am starting the process of
fixing the car up so that it runs/looks as good as it did the day my father
bought it.  Unfortunately, I do not have the time, space, or resources to
start a complete restoration project at this time.  My main concern with
the vehicle is protecting it from further rust damage.  Though the frame
currently only has surface rust, I do not want to give the surface rust
time to develop into something worse.  Is there a way to protect the frame
without taking the entire car apart?

The second reason why I am writing the list is for suggestions on the
rust/paint/body work for the body panels on the car.  My current plan
towards fixing the vehicle is to do the rust/paint/body work over the next
few months.  I am writing to make sure that my thought process towards
doing this work is sound.  I fear that the rust is the primary threat to
the car.  The mechanics are quite sound and the car runs well.  The problem
is that the car currently has its original coat of paint, and it has
little, if any, coverage in quite a few spots.  I figure that while I am
doing the rust work, I should also have the body work that needs to be done
and the paint job done as well.  The question I have is that if I decide in
the next few years (Once I have my own garage) to do the full restoration
will the rust/body/paint work that I do now be a wasted effort?

Finally, if I decide to do this body work, I am looking for a decent place
near the tip of Long Island  (Greenport, Cutchogue, or Riverhead area).  I
have a recommendation from a mechanic that I trust in the area for a place
called Rich's Quality Auto Body in Cutchogue.  Has anyone on the list had
work done there?  Was it a satisfactory job?  Are there any other places
that individuals suggest to do the rust/paint/body work?

Thanks in Advance for any advice,

Alex