RE: "crazy" procedure for setting valve timing

To: "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: "crazy" procedure for setting valve timing
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 17:59:27 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Hmmm... this probably wouldn't work on a 4A as the stock cam timing is
different? Then again I think it's also still "symmetrical" so it probably
would work!

Ok -- set the cam timing to be "balanced" (open equally) at Top Dead
Center -- not crazy at all! Beautifully symmetrical I'd say!

Just remember that there is a TDC compression and a TDC exhaust -- TDC
exhaust is the only time the valves are "balanced" -- so it only occurs
every other time the TDC mark on the pulley (the little hole) aligns with
the pointer!

The balance point would be the TDC where the spark plug DIDN'T fire.

One could certainly go "crazy" trying to figure that out if it's not clear
in the instructions!

Thanks Randall!

Chris Lillja
'66 TR4A