RE: TR4 Head Problem

To: ARhodes@compuserve.com, snaborn@net1plus.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR4 Head Problem
From: "Gregory Petrolati" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 17:38:16 PDT

<triumphs@autox.team.net>
>Subject: RE: TR4 Head Problem
>Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 20:05:41 -0400
>
>>This has me really bummed.   I thought that I was doing the right
thing by
>>having the valve inserts done.  I have taken this week off to
reassemble
>>the car and now I am stalled.   The machine shop guy is on vacation
in
>>Disneyland with his family and won't be back until Monday the
26th.  But
>>unless he rips out the exhaust seats and redoes them... if that's
>>possible... I'm stuck.   I could have my backup head done
instead.... but
><
>

>IMHO, you were doing the right thing.  If done properly, the seats
will last longer
>than the natural cat iron seats.  This guy screwed up the job by
reaming too deeply
>for the new seats, or the new seats were thinner than he had
expected.

>It can be rectified.  Maybe there are thicker seats.  He might have
to go through
>the effort of boring out the old ones, then heating the head up hot
and replacing
>metal in the bored out seats, then re-boring to the correct depth.
Needless
>to say, this ought to be free since it is his mistake.
>
>I am always worried about how much effort they put in making it
right.  I
>think they may just do a quick and dirty job so it will get out the
door.  I'd
>consider taking it to another place and having them fix it at his
expense.
>Needless to say the original guy will not go for that.  As long as
you can trust
>him to fix it right........
>
>-Tony

  Not to be throwing salt in the wound... I would wonder how the new
seats have impacted on the chamber wall thickness... I thought the
casting was somewhat thin in that location and the machinist had to
go very carefully for fear of cutting into a water passage that is
just on the other side of the metal.

My take is the machinist screwed up... he should make it right...
even if it means getting you a new head... and paying for someone
else to do the job...

  Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois
1962 TR4 (CT4852L)