RE: TR4 Head Problem

To: Brian Sanborn <snaborn@net1plus.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Head Problem
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 20:05:41 -0400
>This has me really bummed.   I thought that I was doing the right thing by
>having the valve inserts done.  I have taken this week off to reassemble
>the car and now I am stalled.   The machine shop guy is on vacation in
>Disneyland with his family and won't be back until Monday the 26th.  But
>unless he rips out the exhaust seats and redoes them... if that's
>possible... I'm stuck.   I could have my backup head done instead.... but
<

IMHO, you were doing the right thing.  If done properly, the seats will last
longer
than the natural cat iron seats.  This guy screwed up the job by reaming too
deeply
for the new seats, or the new seats were thinner than he had expected.

It can be rectified.  Maybe there are thicker seats.  He might have to go
through
the effort of boring out the old ones, then heating the head up hot and
replacing
metal in the bored out seats, then re-boring to the correct depth.  Needless
to say, this ought to be free since it is his mistake.

I am always worried about how much effort they put in making it right.  I
think they may just do a quick and dirty job so it will get out the door.  I'd
consider taking it to another place and having them fix it at his expense.
Needless to say the original guy will not go for that.  As long as you can trust
him to fix it right........

-Tony