Re: TR3 - grease seal - front suspension

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 - grease seal - front suspension
From: Gbouff1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 15:44:49 EDT
Robert,
I purchased all of my suspension items from Moss.  About a week after
installing the grease seals, one of them had already ripped crosswise and had
fallen off.  The 40 year old ones were still on when I did the rebuild.  More
than likely the after market rubber compound is inferior or of the wrong
composition.  I am not going to disassemble the suspension just to eplace the
seal.  I may try to make my own and use a loctite rubber cement to attach the
two ends.

It reminds me of a 74 Fiat 128 that I bought new.  After 3-4 years, all of
the rubber items were developing cracks and holes, from the gas filler, to
fuel lines, to vacuum hoses.  The car had about a mile of vacuum lines, it
drove me nuts.  I eventually sold the car because of this and other quality
problems.

Good luck!

Gary Bouffard
59 TR3A  TS 58399