TR4A dash

To: "INTERNET:jmwagner@greenheart.com" <jmwagner@greenheart.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4A dash
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:52:50 -0400
>From what I have been able to tell, the wood is "French Walnut".  Mine has
a book match down the middle. but if you could get the proper length, then
you could save a TON of effort to make the match look right.

The problem is that I have never been able to find "French" walnut veneer.
Apparently there is a difference in the grain patterns, especially compared to
"American" walnut.  "English" walnut might be closer.

I agree that the color is rather dark on th TR4A dash.  I agree that it almost
looks like mahogany.  I'd suggest that you try finishing some test pieces with
no
stain.  It darkens quite a bit with the finish on it.  If you find that is too
light, then try some stains.  I find that the "Dark Walnut" and "Special Walnut"
stains are almost indistinguishable and too dark.  I have not found anything
like "Light Walnut"

Take a look at B&B Rare Woods at www.wood-veneer.com.  Give then a call too.
They
are great to work with, have tons of info, and have a huge stock.  They might
even have some "French Walnut".

I got a neat burl from them.  Amboyna.  It is a tropical
wood.  This burl came from a log felled in 1932!  It was as hard and brittle as
glass.  It was a bear to work with, and required _3_ book matched panels.  I
never
did any veneering before, and you need to walk before you do a marathon, but I
got a pretty nice job of it.  When I finish the edge painting it will be ready
to finish.  I have not yet decided what type of finish to use.  THe original was
some sort of plastic and was rather thick.  I am thinking of using the clear
coat
automotive urethane.  UV stable and impregnable to water, can make any
reasonable
thickness too....

-Tony