Re: Welding eye protection

To: fogbro1@impop.bellatlantic.net
Subject: Re: Welding eye protection
From: dmjbaker <dmjbaker@pop.erols.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 07:48:02 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hello,

My dad welded for 30 years and I welded for 5 years before I became a
Programmer.  When I bought my MIG welder I asked my dad what shade to use in
my helmet as I only used Arc welders.  My dad told me that #10 was to light
for MIG welding and get a #11.

With the #11 at times I still think that it is not dark enough because at
the stronger settings I cannot see the 'puddle' when I am welding frames.
For bodywork the #11 is fine.

Another option is to get a self darkening helmet which goes for about $150
but I heard that you could get them much cheaper if you go to a pawn shop.

I would be very careful using anything less than a #11 for MIG welding you
only have one set of eyes and I have been told that the ARC from a MIG
welder is brighter than the sun.  Also be sure to work in a well-ventilated
area, my dad used to get VERY sick welding certain metals even in a
well-ventilated OSHA approved welding cabinet.

Just my two cents...

John