tuff soft-top fit

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: tuff soft-top fit
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 06:34:22 EDT
<<Does any one else have to use KY jelly, a rubber mallet, a chisel
four ambidexterous contortionists and a rivet gun to get the leading
edge of the soft top to fit under the rail?
I am not sure if the rail is closed in on the windscreen and as such
I am reluctant to prise it too high. I would be interested just to hear
how difficult others find this task.>>
Used to be easy enough with the original very thin spring steel stiffeners
but now that you can't find aftermarket equivalents. I too am having a harder
time slipping in the leading edge into the windshield groove whereas it was
pretty easy before I had to replace the rusty original stiffener.
All I could find on the market for my TR4 was a thick soft metal strip
(crummy soft metal but a perfect pattern) or the proper very thin spring type
metal but the wrong curve pattern geez!
Anyone out there know where to buy the right quality thin spring steel
stiffeners for the leading softtop edge of a TR4 not A?
Carl
'64 TR4 since '74