Re: Welding eye protection

To: fogbro1@impop.bellatlantic.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Welding eye protection
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 23:01:36 EDT
In a message dated 4/15/99 10:16:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
fogbro1@impop.bellatlantic.net writes:

> Can we safely use less shade? If so, what? Does proper protection depend
>  on length of exposure? What else?
>
>  Ed

I can't answer your question, but I can relate a tale that may give you
something to think about.

When I was 17, I was hired by a Ready-Mix cement company to build a front end
loader for one of their tractors, using the steel from a couple of junk truck
frames. As I had no experience with welders and cutting torches, my boss
hired a professional welder. I marked the pieces to be cut, and then, after
he cut them, I clamped them in place for him to weld.

While he welded, I stood in the opening for the overhead door in the very
large, commercial garage where we were working, with my back to him. He was
welding near the back of the garage.

I woke up around 2 AM that night, in extreme pain. I couldn't get my eyes
open for the thick yellow pus that was oozing out of them, and they felt like
they were on fire. I was living with my younger brother at the time, and he
was too young to drive, so I had to call my boss to take me to the emergency
room. I spent the next week with my eyes bandaged up, but, thank goodness, no
permanant damage was done.

Just the flash bouncing off the walls was enough to do the damage over the
course of the day, even though I was standing in the doorway, almost outside.

Just food for thought.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/