Re: TRFaq Gearbox fluid

To: wood <jgwood@total.net>
Subject: Re: TRFaq Gearbox fluid
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:37:31 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, wood wrote:

As my knowledge of Things Oily is limited, I'm forwarding this to the
Triumphs-list in the hopes it will generate some better responses....

> In reading the Haynes shop manual under routine maintenance, I read " it is
>not recommended that the oil be drained except at overhaul periods as the
>gearbox and overdrive unit (if fitted) are filled with a special oil at the
>factory when new".
>
> Our resident Triumph TR4 mechanic suggests that changing the oil in the
>gearbox usually leads to problems. He advises to top off the level rather then
>change it. I suppose without the "Special" oil using Hypoid oil SAE 90 has
>presented some problems.

Hmm.  I'm not so sure about that.  I had to change the oil in my
automatic-betransmissioned econobox; the old oil was black (not burnt),
and the filter was full of little twinkly bits (= metal swarf).  I think
that changing the fluids, especially when hot, should do some good for a
transmission.

I wish I could recommend the proper replacement fluid with confidence, but
I can't.  There still is a lot of mystery surrounding just what should be
put into the gearbox- I surmise that most any heavy-weight oil will work
(90w gear oil, GL4, GL5, 30 or 40W motor oil, etc) but I make NO
guarantees.

> Question 1: What special oil are they referring to?

I don't know.  I suspect that Haynes didn't know either; often they would
copy text straight out of the factory workshop manual.  And they probably
didn't tell either :-)

Anyone out there know the answer?  What made the oil so Special?

> Question 2: If I use the synthetic oil GL-4 or GL-5 recommended, will this be
>compatible with the Hypoy oil that was in the gearbox originally. Do I have to
>be concerned with flushing the gearbox and if so what do I use to effect this.

To my knowledge, oil is oil, and therefore (as they're both petroleum
solvents) will mix with each other quite nicely.  I could be wrong (can
oil curdle??)

I topped up my diff in my TR4 with GL5 (Castrol Hypoy, non-synthetic).  It
hasn't exploded yet.  I intend to do the same with my transmission when I
can get the stupid plug out.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm