Re: TR6 O/D question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 O/D question
From: Peter Wilson <Peter.Wilson@vsl.com.au>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:38:28 +0900
Cc: tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us
Hi Tony,

I have installed a hybrid O/D in my '69 TR6, with bits of saloon, Rover and
others. The saloon gearbox is basically the same as the TR except for gear
ratios (wider in the saloon) and input spline (I think 1" for saloons and
1.125" for TRs.

The A-type overdrive is also basically the same, except for the number/strength
of springs inside and perhaps the accumulator diameter and spring. Others may
have more data on this, but I know that you can uprate the saloon O/D to TR
specs by swapping a few internal parts. Running the standard saloon O/D
internals in a TR would probably work, but you would get a much slower O/D
engagement and a possible risk of slippage.

The only external difference is the one you have noticed - the saloon has a
horizontal solenoid mount (and sometimes a protective box, whilst the TR has a
vertical mount (and sometimes stone shield).

Although the solenoid and its function are identical, I understand that the
saloon orientation will not fit in a TR chassis. You will need to purchase a TR
side cover/solenoid mount to rectify this difference.

I hope this helps,

Peter Wilson (peter.wilson@vsl.com.au)

Adelaide, South Australia

>Has anyone had any experience with fitting a saloon O/D g/box to a TR6?

>(mine is a 72 with the early or pre-Stag-type gearbox). Are there any

>significant differences in clutch type/splines, throw out bearing,

>crankshaft bush?

>Also, the gearbox does not look like the A-type in either the TRF cat. or

>the Bentley Workshop manual.  It has the correct shape for the A-type, but

>the solenoid location and mounting is not the same.  The solenoid is in the

>correct place (RH side of g/box looking aft).  I did notice a message from

>a few days ago that indicated that the solenoid can be encased - well, this

>one certainly is, but is not vertical but inclined to the rear of the g/box

>and is housed in a rectangular housing.  Don't know if that presents any

>further problems ....?

Peter Wilson (Peter.Wilson@vsl.com.au)

Manager - Mechanical Systems Group

<bold>VISION ABELL PTY LTD

<smaller><smaller>Second Avenue, Technology Park,

Mawson Lakes, South Australia 5095

Tel: +61 8 8300 4400

Fax: +61 8 8349 7420

http://www.vsl.com.au