Salvaging a rotting Monza TR6 exhaust?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Salvaging a rotting Monza TR6 exhaust?
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 07:08:21 -0700
The last couple of nights I've been tearing the rear end apart on the TR6
so that I can repair my broken diff mount.  (what fun!)  I am pleased to
report that the damage to the mount appears to have gone no further than
the crack in the bracket.  Thanks to those on the list who motivated me to
look for this problem.  Looks like I caught it in time.

I've known for some time that the mufflers on my dual Monza system have
been developing holes in the forward/lower portion of the mufflers, in the
typical Monza fashion.  Now that I have it all out of the car, I can get a
good look at the whole system.  The rest of the system seems to be in
reasonably good shape... no holes.  However, the coat of header/heat paint
I put on this system 10 years ago is long gone and the pipes are bare
rusty-looking metal.

First question is:

Has anyone ever replaced just the mufflers on the Monza system?  I don't
necessarily mean with Monza mufflers, either... just something to get by
until I plunk some dough down on a stainless system.  I wonder if it would
be possible to have the quad/dual tips grafted on to the ends of the
replacement mufflers?

Second question is:

Any suggestions as to what I could paint these pipes with that would
actually do some good?  Just looking for ways to preserve this aging system
(that I took off of a parts car, so it is OLD!!) until I can get that nice
stainless OEM-style system.

Thanks much.