Re: TR6 slave cylinder push rod

To: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 slave cylinder push rod
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 11:58:29 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.netcom>
>Here's something I was wondering about. The slave cylinder push rod on my 76
>TR6 is attached to the transmission lever arm in the middle of the three
. Just for grins, I attached the slave cylinder push rod
>at the lowest hole and found that it made for much easier and smoother
>clutch pedal effort (which makes sense based on the leverage principle). The
>problem with that is that the rod is not quite long enough so the geometry
>isn't quite right. I was wondering if it would be feasible to cut the rod,
>weld in an extension to increase its length, and then attach it in the
>lowest of the three holes on the shaft arm. Has anyone tried this? Any
>drawbacks? Thanks, Greg Hutmacher
Wish things were that simple.  All else being equal, then for a given
travel of the master you have a given travel of the slave.  Since you only
changed one variable (the lever length of the arm) then you have
effectively shortened the available travel for the throw out bearing.  You
need a certain amount of travel here to accomplish clutch
actuation/de-actuation, and you have now just reduced the amount you are
required to have.  Simply lengthening the rod will not help, since you no
longer have the amount of travel you need.  You've increased the effective
lever arm (making the pedal effort less) at expense of the travel needed to
operate the clutch.  In order to do what you want, you would need to
increase the stroke of the master cylinder actuation (longer travel at the
pedal).  Unfortunately, with mechanical engineering, you never get
something for nothing.  And remember, hydraulics in this application, is
just another (more elegant form) form of mechanical leverage, nothing more.