TR6 slave cylinder push rod

To: "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 slave cylinder push rod
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 14:29:55 -0400 charset="iso-8859-1"
Here's something I was wondering about. The slave cylinder push rod on my 76
TR6 is attached to the transmission lever arm in the middle of the three
holes. I've been told that this is the correct position and all three TR6's
I've had were all attached at the middle hole. Someone on this list (can't
remember who) told me that the other two holes are for use on other Triumph
models that this common part is shared with. Makes sense to me. But here's
what I was wondering. Just for grins, I attached the slave cylinder push rod
at the lowest hole and found that it made for much easier and smoother
clutch pedal effort (which makes sense based on the leverage principle). The
problem with that is that the rod is not quite long enough so the geometry
isn't quite right. I was wondering if it would be feasible to cut the rod,
weld in an extension to increase its length, and then attach it in the
lowest of the three holes on the shaft arm. Has anyone tried this? Any
drawbacks? Thanks, Greg Hutmacher