Re: TR-4A - Fan Replacment question - Balancing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR-4A - Fan Replacment question - Balancing
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 09:03:05 -0700
Cc: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
    Has anyone had experience with appropriate balancing of a replacement
fan for Triumph four bangers?  Any thoughts on how big a deal this is?
(Brian's situation below is troubling, but it seems to have resulted from
some kind of damage to the fan).
      Also, it looks like if I only remove the fan and not the hub
extension, I might possibly be able to get it off without removing the
radiator.     Does this sound right?
    Thanks.
John Cowan

At 09:22 PM 4/2/99 -0500, Brian Sanborn wrote:

>John,
>
>Really no big deal... just follow the Haynes or Bentley.  Remember the
>location of the balance weights when you disassemble.... if you plan on
>trying to come close to a re-balance.
>
>I am switching to a yellow plastic fan from TRF.  The big heavy fan on my
>engine was wacked somewhere along the line and the imbalance caused galling
>on the crankshaft front boss.
>
>Brian Sanborn
>62 TR4          CT16260L  - Groton,  MA
>sanborn@net1plus.com

Pass this review along to a friend.  To subscribe, send email to:
jfcowan@earthlink.net .  Check out previous reviews at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~jfcowan