RE: battery for TR6 - anyone use Interstate Batteries?

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: battery for TR6 - anyone use Interstate Batteries?
From: Stuart Steele <ssteele@switchsolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 12:30:29 -0500
Hello List:

Jon Moody writes:

   A buddy of mine swears by Interstate Batteries.  My '6's
>   battery has
>   just given up the ghost and I need a new one.

Interstate is a distributor, not a manufacturer.  Interstate's batteries
are made for them by Johnson Controls.  Johnson Controls is a major
player in the US battery market, manufacturing batteries for Western
Auto, Sears, Wal-Mart, Ford ( as Motorcraft ), Interstate, Eveready,
Energizer ( probably haven't seen _that_ one in a car too often ), and
many others.  Another major manufacturer of batteries in the US ( and,
in fact, the world ) is Exide. Exide similarly is the source for a
number of privately-branded labels, but alas! I have forgotten which
ones.  Delphi Energy and Engine Management Systems, which produces the
ACDelco Freedom battery, is also a major manufacturer, both in the US
and world markets.  In the world battery market, Yuasa of Japan is a
major manufacturer and supplier worldwide, and has a substantial OE
presence with the Japanese car manufacturers.( Yuasa, humorously enough,
is also the OE for Lucas batteries )

>   I was wondering if any
>   lister has used an Interstate Battery and if so, which
>   model has the
>   right profile to fit properly and right starting amps?  Thanks!

I had an Interstate battery for several years in my TR6. I seem to
recall that it was the "correct" size ( which is 24F, I think ), but
almost any reasonable size will fit, I have found.  Re battery life,
just about any battery will last a long time if it is taken care of,
kept filled, not overcharged, not dropped or vibrated to death, not
frozen or boiled, and not exposed to very high temperatures for any
length of time.  All but the last can be controlled pretty easily; here
in Texas, it is hard to avoid high underhood temperatures, except by not
driving.

Stuart Steele