Re: Fitting TR3A panels

To: Tr3bob@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fitting TR3A panels
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 08:32:49 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

<< Hi fellow scions,
 Boy....am I frustrated. I'm nearly finished with welding the basic tub and
 I've started to hang some of the fenders, doors, front apron, etc, just to
 see where I am.
 I must admit at the outset that the bare tub I'm building on was purchased
 separately from the panels that I saved from the original car (TS81398L).
 NOTHING lines up......the doors look as though they're hung on an A-post
that
 was welded 5 degrees off.....there's a 1/2" gap at the bottom where the door
 meets the B-post. When I put the front apron mounting bar in the bracket on
 the inner wings, it lines up OK .....then I drop on the hood and try to line
 up the hinges and I get a 1/2" gap on the drivers side. It's like the
scuttle
 is off.
 WHAT'S GOING ON?????  Do I need a bonefide body man to look at this? Has
 anyone else experienced this when they started to hang panels?
 HELP.....
 Bob Stahlbush
 66 MGB GHN3L 78708
 60 TR3A TS 81398L  >>

Bob
Even when using all the same sheet metal that originally came off the car in
the first place, you may see things like this. You should always test fit
doors in particular as it seems it is easy for the A-B posts to move a bit in
relation to each other when the tub is off.
I think there is at least some variation from panel to panel and car to car.
Notice the prominent fit disclaimer on new TR3 body panels.
I had a similar problem with the bonnet alignment on my 3B. I ended up moving
(cutting out & rewelding) one of the mounts on the inner fender well, to
correct a difference of about 1/4" in the gap between the R & L sides. Boot
(trunk) lids are another problem area.
Personally I think the metal "moves" a bit, but I'm no expert.
As to what to do, the phrase "whatever it takes" comes to mind.
Good Luck!

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B