GT6 Carb Lets its Love (Gas) Flow

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6 Carb Lets its Love (Gas) Flow
From: Martin Secrest <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 19:29:42 -0500
One of my recently rebuilt GT6 carbs just had an out of body experience.

There I was, driving along merrily, when the idle dropped radically,
and I start smelling gas.  Turns out that gas is spewing from
the rear carb, out of a hole on the top left of the outer face where the
air filter mates.  Gas is also filling the carb canister breather
hose that attaches to the end of the carb.  I suspected a stuck float
valve -- which makes no sense, since I have Grose jets -- so I took the
top and bottom off, removed the piston, etc.  Blew air through the
jet as best I could (with my mouth by the side of the road).  Put
it back together, and no more gas spew.  Lacking confidence in this
"repair," I'm wondering what went wrong.  I did just attach a new
hose -- did an errant piece of rubber get stuck in a jet somewhere?
 What's up with this deal?

Perplexingly,

Martin Secrest
73 GT6