TR6 Tire size redux

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Tire size redux
From: jaltman@altlaw.com
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 16:38:17 -0500charset="Windows-1252"
We have had discussion from time to time regarding the modern "proper" tire
size to replace the original 185sr15's with.  Popular opinion at that time
said 205/70-15 was the closest. I have two different brands, front and back.
The fronts are Yokohama's and are a bit "bulgier" in the sidewalls than the
other brand on the rears.  I was noticing some cupping in the front so I
went by my alignment shop and he said 195/75-15 would be a better fit.  I do
scrape the wheelwell on a serious bump. He thought the cupping was caused by
the tires being too wide.

I had him rotate and balance (on the car, its cooool). We concluded with
deciding to let these wear out and then replace with the 195-75.  BTW my
shimmy at 50 MPH disappeared with balance and rotate.

Opinions?

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6#CC28754L  W4UCK