Re: TR6 Brake Problems

To: "Radley, Jack" <JackR@SHRIVERCO.COM>
Subject: Re: TR6 Brake Problems
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 14:16:28 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
The problem with that method is it assumes the handbrake cable is properly
adjusted.  If the cable is stretched slightly (not unusual on older cars),
then the suggested procedure could result in dragging brakes, which can
overheat and ruin drums, wheel bearings, the whole car, etc.
Not worth the risk, IMO !  I'd stick with the factory procedure !

Also, I'm not sure about a TR6, but on a TR3 the adjuster works on both
shoes.  Curiously enough, the adjustment procedure for the early Lockheed
brakes starts with applying the brakes to center the shoes, but the later
Girling brakes (which function identically to the Lockheed), do not.  I make
it a habit to apply the brakes hard after doing an adjustment, and recheck
the adjustment to make sure centering is not an issue. (On all drum brakes,
not just TR)

Randall