Re: TR6 brake problems

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 brake problems
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:27:31 -0500
Radley, Jack wrote:

> The brake pedal on my 76 TR6 has to be put to the floor to get any
> braking.  With the pedal to the floor I only get slow down braking, not
> lock up the wheels braking.  This is something I was going to have
> looked at in the Spring anyway to avoid such problems, but now the
> problems are here.  The master cylinder is full, no obvious leaking on
> the floor or on the wheels, nothing else seems out of whack, brake pads
> and shoes should be OK based on mileage, no brake light - but I think
> it's burnt out (it never goes on).
>
> Any diagnoses?

Jack,

It could be the tip valve in the master.  As the seal starts to go bad, it
allows
fluid to leak past under pressure back into the reservoir.  You won't see any
leaks,
but the brakes will gradually become less effective at stopping the car.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505              http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars