Piston Rings

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Piston Rings
From: "Arakelian, Peter" <arakelianp@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:08:20 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
I have been following the threads about rings and since we carry both
Hastings and Deves depending on price and application thought I would add my
2 cents.
Hastings comes from Hastings, Michigan, with satellite warehouse around the
country and a network of warehouse distributors.  They have long touted
their oil rings as the best in the replacement market.  Generally you get
what they call the flex-vent oil ring.  It is a three piece ring designed to
increase flexibility and wall contact while allowing for excellent drainage.

Deves originally started in Sweden was bought by Janasz, but still tout
their Swedish metallurgy "secrets."  The oil rings they use are also of the
multi-piece design but sometimes include an expander.  Deves enjoy an
excellent reputation among Porsche owners as well as many performance people
and of course Volvo and Saab.
For my part both types are excellent high quality rings which have resulted
in no problems for us.  There is some care needed in installing rings so
they do not snap, but the trick is not to expand them by hand but rather to
wind them down the piston.  The idea of spending big bucks to get a ring
that can be twisted into a pretzel shape seems odd unless you suspect your
engine will put those kinds of severe stresses on the rings.
The break in or seating of newly installed rings is probably the most
important factor.  Hastings recommends making a test run at 30mph and
accelerating at full throttle in high gear to 50mph repeating the 30-50mph
cycle at least 10 times.  The object is to apply a load for short periods
and in rapid succession soon after engine warm-up.  This thrusts the rings
against the cylinder wall and results in accelerated ring seating.  You
should then avoid sustained high speed driving for the first 100 miles.
I know this has been long, but hope it helps.

Peter Arakelian
Domestic Buyer
Moss Motors, Ltd.
(805) 681-3400 x3214