Re: speaking of 6cyl Spitfires

To: ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com
Subject: Re: speaking of 6cyl Spitfires
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 19:40:32 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 1/28/99 9:55:26 AM EST, ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com writes:

<< Years ago, when I was active in Red River Triumph Club in Dallas, Texas, I
 had the pleasure to ride in a Spitfire that a guy had converted to a GT6 6
 cylinder engine.  The car felt very fast (that was about 15 years ago, so I
 can only remember my impression at the time).  I remember that he told me
 that it was a fairly easy swap.  The biggest modification required was
 fitting the GT6 bonnet in place of the Spitfire bonnet to give the engine
 enough clearance.  He had done some minor performance mods to the 2.0 engine
 also.  I think he was running through the original Spitfire rear end which
 would help explain why the car accelerated so fast.  Is this a common swap
 for a Spitfire?  Are there others out there who have done this or know
 someone who has? It was a very fun car to race from one stoplight to the
 other in.  Regards, Greg Hutmacher
 76 TR6
 68 MGB/GT >>
Have heard the Spit rear end won't stand up to the bigger GT6 engine. But I'm
no expert here.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B