TR3A Piston Rings (Expansion Rings?)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A Piston Rings (Expansion Rings?)
From: Gbouff1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 23:37:15 EST
Dear listers,

I will shortly be removing the pistons so that I can hone the cylinders (as
one is slightly scored) and replace the rings.  I would prefer not to bore out
the liners so that I don't have to repace the pistons.  I will also check the
fit of bearings with a plasti-gage but they exhibit no play and may be fine.
The odometer shows 42,000 miles which is probably true as the trunions had
almost no play.

My question concerns the use of expansion rings.  A business aquaintance of
mine has restored several english cars over the years, and when he has had to
hone the cylinders, he also would replace the rings with HASTINGS expansion
rings.  The reasoning being that the use of such rings would help fill any
slight excess piston gap.  He has run cars for thousands of miles using this
practice with no apparent problems, good compression, normal oil consumption
and no piston slap.

Has anyone else ever used expansion rings?  If so what was your experience?  I
haven't been able to find anyone that carries the Hastings brand.  Are they
still in busines or are there other brands available?

As always your comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Gary Bouffard
59 TR3A  TS 58399