Re: speaking of triple webers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: speaking of triple webers
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 09:02:07 -0500
Message is to Hutmacher, Greg <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com> - I had trouble
replying to you Greg...

Hi,

You posted to the triumphs list a week or so ago asking about Webers.

I can't recall if I replied to you - so if I did, forgive the repeat reply.

The DCOE 40's will work on the street, but there is a lot of effort
required to dial them in. Further, when you dial them in to run okay on the
street, you'll wind up making concessions that'll take away from the top
end. This is because in regular street driving you pretty much drive on the
idle jets, and when you're dialing in for power you want to be running all
the time on the mains.

I would say (and I've had Webers on my streetable TR6 for two years now)
that except for the coolness factor, the Webers are not the ideal setup for
the street. Keep in mind that I drive my TR6 a lot. I've put at least 10k
miles on that setup. The carbs stay where you set them, but you need to
spend time on a dyno to get the right jets in there in the first place.

Other folks will tell you that you need a cam to get the Webers to work
well. This is not true. You can flow way more air through your engine with
the Webers, so you do need to go to some sort of extractor setup to take
full advantage of the Webers. This means loud. I put on a Monza setup (it
was free!), and it is really too loud and tiresome. You could probably set
up something that is quieter with some "turbo mufflers", but again - there
is a cost factor.

The Weber DGV's are more streetable, but frankly I don't like them because
they  don't really give you any low end power and I'm sure they do not flow
anywhere near ideal rates at the top end. The way you bolt the DGV's on is
pretty nasty by my observation.

The various 3 carb setups are kind of kool, Good Parts sells one. They can
be pretty pricey though - $300 for the manifold, buy another carb, setup
the linkage, get an "air box"... you could layout around $1k by the time
you are done.

Another option is to replace the Z.S. 175's with either SU HS6's of HS8's.
The HS8 setup is a bit complicated because you'd have to modify the
existing intake manifold or make "transition adapters" to go from the 1.75
hole up to the 2 inch hole the HS8's need.

I'll point out that for SCCA autocross - all the above modifications are
legal for Street Prepared, but you can't change the cam... so if you decide
to play with this stuff, you need to look at how you intend to use the car.

If you have any specific questions, drop me another line. I've spent a lot
of time/money on my Webers. Chances are that I'm taking them off that car
for the '99 driving season and I'm currently thinking about swapping over
to the SU HS6's for that car.

Now - if you want performance cheap, then get a couple of K&N's, a good
header and the "sport exhaust" or have a shop make you a custom setup with
a Supertrapp. I'll guarantee that you'll notice the difference between the
bone-stock setup and one that breaths better.

C ya,
rml
TR6's