Re: Identifying TR3 pistonedu>

To: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Identifying TR3 pistonedu>
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 10:47:38 -0800
John,
    It sounds like you know what you are doing, so I guess it depends on
how you feel about the quality of the old parts.  I hope someone can advise
you on that, as I can't.  Since the TRF sale is on now, I would buy a
matched set of their pistons and sleeves.  This would also cover you if the
old sleeves were a bear to extract (a real possibility, I'm told) and
injured in the process.  Good luck with the project.
   John Cowan

At 07:42 AM 1/13/99 -0500, you wrote:

>I took apart my TR3A engine last month and tossed the pistons in the
>trash, expecting them to be 83mm.  I causually compared one to a TR4
>piston I had and realized that the 3 had 87mm pistons, so I rooted through
>the can to recover them.
>
>They're curious things.  They have no manufacturer's name on them, they
>have three rings, and the only provision for expansion that I see is a
>series of small holes just below the oil ring.  Can anyone help identify
>them?
>
>The big question is: should I reuse them?  The engine has not run in 20
>years.  The plan would be to put some different liners in the block, bore
>them out to fit the pistons, put some new rings on and go from there.
>
>John Middlesworth

Visit - In Their Own Words Website - an on-line non-commercial publishing
experiment, plus movie reviews, articles and Left/Progressive links at:
                           http://home.earthlink.net/~jfcowan