Transmission Rebuild - More Questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Transmission Rebuild - More Questions
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 17:20:57 GMT
Listers,

This really is a quest the first time you do this.  I got the clutch fork out
using the "pounding" method.  I came up with an idea of using a "distance
piece" between the fork and the side of the case.  This let the strong base of
the fork take the shock.

I had a similar problem getting the main shaft to move forward on the rear big
bearing when I pounded with the rubber hammer.  Ended up using a big metal
hammer and an old cam follower as protection for the shaft end. This worked...
but the bearing and the shaft were a VERY tight fit.

Here is the problem.  While doing this I went too far and banged the 3rd gear
against the laygear and knocked off one synchro tooth before I realized the
problem.  Do I need to replace the 3rd gear part or is 1 tooth missing of many
OK.  I will do what's right but don't want to waist the money and delay if not
needed.

Any tricks on how to get the circlip out from the cluster on the front of the
mainshaft without the fancy special tools... I think it up against the 3rd gear
piece

Thanks

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4 CT16260L - Groton, MA