TR6 still running poorly <Part 3>

To: dynamic@transport.com
Subject: TR6 still running poorly <Part 3>
From: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 17:00:41 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <>

>The symptoms:  Again, this is intermittant.  One day last week I drove >25
>miles out of town to see a client and it ran beautifully all the way.  But
it skipped and sputtered all the way home.  It doesn't slow you down all
that much... I could still go 50-55 mph, but if you dip into the throttle
at all it skips and sputters and pops out the tailpipe.  Not a backfire,
but just a mild poppity-pop sound when trying to accelerate.  I say
"sputtering" because it seems random and irregular, not like a misfire
>where the same cylinder is dead every time around.  If you have to go
>uphill it can slow you down, though... if you give it much load at all
>it'll pop and sputter in any gear, especially top gear, and take you >down
>to 25 mph.  Then the next day on the same hill it'll pull strong and
smooth
all the way up.  Generally, when it's misbehaving you can minimize or avoid
it altogether just by keeping an even throttle.  But the minute you
accelerate it'll pop and sputter again.

I sure sounds like ignition problems.  Have you ohmed your wires for
continuity? Most resistive wires are something like 4K ohm / ft.  I don't
know what yours are, but you can compare them with each other for similar
readings / ft (each wire should be proportional).  Can you beg/borrow a
scope to look at the high voltage?  That's how I found my bad capacitor
which was causing exactly the same symptoms. How about putting the old
ignition system back in and driving it for awhile to see if the electronic
system could be bad?