Re: PI stuff

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: PI stuff
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:11:25 -0800
Tony,

My experiences with the Lucas PI system have been very good, especially
considering that I'm basically on my own.  A mate of mine in the UK owns a
TR workshop and reconditioned the entire system for me.  He also provides
lots of help but seeing as he is across the pond, the advice can't be in
real time.  The local LBC mechanic is really good, but unfamiliar,
obviously, with PI.  It's an 'S' shaped learning curve but I believe much
easier that fooling around with carbs!!

I cheated.  My car came out of Canberra, Australia and was a home market
TR6.  It's ironic; most of the TR6s on the roads in Aus are from the U.S.
I guess I just stole an original one from them!

The Bosch pump I used came out of a BMW si sedan(?).  I say that with some
precautions.  My UK mate, just provided the pump with no explanation on
what it came off of.  I happened to be looking at German cars in the local
wrecking yard and found the same pump on the above car.  If you would like,
I can look for a part number off of my spare pump.  So....

I mounted the Bosch in the same area where the Lucas was.  The little Facet
pump is situated between it and the fuel filter.  I used the existing
pressure relief valve.  All I had to do was have a hose made to fit between
it and the fuel pump.  No big deal.

I think you are doing quite well in your PI trek.  Let's be honest, this is
basically an uncharted territory in the US.  Sure there are a few people
running PI's in the States, but they don't even make a blip on the horizon.
That may be changing soon, thanks to your questions.

Re your earlier post about heads.  What I have learned is the Leyland did
indeed make two different heads from 1969 - 1972(?) - one for the carb, US
market; the other for the PI marker( rest of the world).  I have no idea
why but they did.  Then in 1973, the US only head design was dropped and
all heads had the same port layout.  (differences only being in compression
ratio)  What this means to potential PI owners is that the intakes are
designed for the PI heads, which are all heads made for the home market and
non-US overseas markets, and only the latter US heads.

If you have any further questions, please contact me.   I love talking
about TR6's and PI.

Dave

A the person who appears to have launched this interest, I am really
interested in your thoughts about PI.  I am purchasing a system from the UK
(as you will know) and therefore I am interested in learning about you
experiences.  Did you carry out a conversion, or did you cheat and get a
non-US PI system (only joking but with a tinge of jealousy)?  What Bosch
pump did you use, and where is it located ... and did you need a new
presure regulator for the Bosch unit?  I haven't really got a good line on
part numbers/appliations (but it's early days and my qustions are confused
to say the least).