Re: TR6 wood fascia

To: "Frank & Carol Bandre" <bandrece@accessus.net>, "TR Mail List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 wood fascia
From: Sam Gentry <hsgentry@cfw.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 15:16:31 -0500
I have done several GT6 and Spit dashes and I think that removing the
veneer is the right thing to do.  Most of the time I strip the veneer with
a thin knife and you would be surprised how easily most of it comes off.  I
strip it off and sand the substrate.  If the veneer is stubborn I sand it
off (always a place or two).  You can see what I have done on my web page.
http://www.cfw.com/~hsgentry

click on "Look at my GT6"
then click on "Look at the panels"

Cutting the holes is probably the hardest part.  I match the grain across
all three pieces of a GT6 or Spit dash and if I screw up the whole thing is
lost.  I use the little break off knives so I can keep a really sharp point
and edge then I cut it leaving a little (1/16 inch or less) and sand that
to the final edge.  The larger holes are not bad, but the smaller ones are
a real pain.  Fortunately the smaller ones are usually covered by a bezel,
but I like it to be neat anyway.  Walnut is not too bad, but cherry wants
to splinter as you cut.

Sam