Re: More on Rear End Noise

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Subject: Re: More on Rear End Noise
From: Thomas Howard <howard@lsschools.k12.ca.us>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 12:42:26 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Okay, I'm a bit confused--you say the inner bearing had just begun to
>spin on the inside race, hub--therein lies the confusion of mine. The
>inner race contacts the stub axle shaft, the outer race contacts the
>hub. Which spun?

=====
On my GT6 the inside bearing DOES ride on the Hub, not the axel.  I think
that your suggestion to use Loctite should work OK here.  The ware is very
small.

>Clean the inside of the upright free of grease, then look in each
>end--you will see two small recesses in the casting, 180 degrees apart,
>under the race. Get a long and slender punch and knock the race out from
>the opposite end to the race, going back and forth from one recess to
>the next, until the race is rocked free. Access the outer race from the
>inner side of the upright, and the inner race from the outer side.

=====

I did as you suggest to the the bearing races out of the cast upright
piece.  The question is how to get the Inside bearing race-of of the
outside bearing off of the wheel hub.

It looks like one will have to use a special plate that clamps around the
hub in conjunction with a press to get it off.  There is only about 1/16
inch of the sholder of the bearing race that can be push/pryed, but this is
right up against the inside of the wheel flange part of the hub.   'no way
to get in there, except perhaps "right tool" clamp plate designed to use
with a press in removing axel type bearings.

Tom Howard
'72 GT6 (and a good bit of USA iron)
Lakeside Union School District