TR4 Rear Main seal

To: rrcostai@hq.pacom.mil
Subject: TR4 Rear Main seal
From: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:33:28 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:01:05 -1000
From: "Costain, Ronald R." <>

 >Please excuse my ignorance, but does one have to take the crankshaft >out
of
>the block to properly replace the rear main seal?  After reading the
>repair
>manual, it looks as though the crank should be out of the main >bearings
if
>the seal alignment tool is to be used correctly.

>Just want to know if I have to pull the engine.  I plan on replacing >the
>clutch and pressure plate soon, and was wondering if I could take off >the
>flywheel and complete the rear main seal job while I had the >transmission

It isn't easy but can be done.  Remove transmission & flywheel, drop oil
pan and rear bearing cap.  Then unbolt the old seal and slide the top one
out.  Slide new one in and replace everything, don't forget new gaskets.  I
have to ask, though, if a bad seal is really your problem.  Lots of times,
pressure is building up in the crankcase and blowing oil out of a perfectly
good seal, making it just look bad.  To test the crank pressure, remove the
dipstick and see if oil blows out the tube. You may have bad rings or PCV.