TR4 Rear Main seal

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Rear Main seal
From: "Costain, Ronald R." <rrcostai@hq.pacom.mil>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:01:05 -1000charset="iso-8859-1"
Please excuse my ignorance, but does one have to take the crankshaft out of
the block to properly replace the rear main seal?  After reading the repair
manual, it looks as though the crank should be out of the main bearings if
the seal alignment tool is to be used correctly.

Just want to know if I have to pull the engine.  I plan on replacing the
clutch and pressure plate soon, and was wondering if I could take off the
flywheel and complete the rear main seal job while I had the transmission
out.

Thanks,
Ron
'63 TR4 CT18000LO