Malta

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Malta
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 00:44:28 -0000
Triumphs were certainly shipped to Malta in large quantities.
However, if you can get hold of some shipping stats for that period,
it might be an idea to divide the annual totals by two - though
definitely not in equal proportions. Malta took cars for tourists and
unofficially ordered on behalf of 'another country' exactly due south
on the north bank of the African continent which took the rest.
Rumour has it that they were grace and favour cars for the party
faithful and this was most definitely "we don't want to know anything
about it" country as far as STI were concerned. Ahem
In my later years wearing a Parts Hat and in the non-genuine side of
the business, there was excellent trade with Malta. In fact why Malta
didn't sink under the weight of what went in there in the form of
parts that will-fit-a-triumph is something of a mystery. I seem to
remember one 40' container had nothing but cool thermostats and fan
belts in it! All in all it wasn't too dis-similar to the brake
cylinder repair kits which daily flood out of Dubai for Iran for the
Paykan (AKA Hillman Hunter) These parts have, with a few others,
become a useful alternative currency.

John Mac