RE: Oil Cooler

To: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Subject: RE: Oil Cooler
From: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 16:07:46 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Good point.  Reason I ask, I'm planning on installing an oil cooler on my
3, but due to the fact that I don't really drive it on days below freezing,
I just didn't see any need for a thermostat (another part to fail) for my
situation.  In cold climates, I can certainly see the need for one, or just
not using a cooler.  I have noticed with my freshly overhauled engine with
all new bearings and such that, when cold the oil pressure never drops
below 60 psi even at idle, but as I drive it hard in a couple hours it is
down to about 40 psi at 3,000 rpm and around 20 at idle.  I presume this is
due to the oil getting really hot and thinning out, but could be something
I overlooked, such as the rocker arms or other wear point.  Anyway, I will
probably not install the thermostat unless I plan a trip north in the
winter (fat chance)!