Re: Rear Wheel noises....GT-6 overdrive question

To: Tom Howard <howard@lsschools.k12.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Rear Wheel noises....GT-6 overdrive question
From: Aribert_Neumann%MIMCO@magna.on.ca
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:52:12 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

I forgot to answer your overdrive question.  My car also came without
overdrive.  I looked for several years before I stumbled onto a parts car
with overdrive.  I chose to keep the 3.27 ratio diff (rather after the 3.27
diff blew apart, and I installed the 3.89 ratio to keep driving, I promptly
sourced another 3.27).

The only advantage to the overdrive with the 3.89 ratio is quicker
acceleration.  For a given road speed the engine rotates at the same rpm
with a non O/D trans and 3.27 ratio as it does with O/D trans and 3.89
ratio.   I did a lot of highway driving and wanted to lower the engine
speed.